Activity 2: Story - A Barn-raising in the City
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, A Barn-raising in the City
- Optional: "A Barn-raising in the City" coloring sheet, and crayons
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and prepare to tell it or read it aloud to the group.
- Optional: Print the coloring sheet and copy for all participants. Place coloring sheets and crayons where children can use them when invited but will not be distracted beforehand.
Description of Activity
Gather the children in a circle. Read or tell the story. Guide the discussion with the following questions;
- Why do you think Amy was so excited that everyone was helping with the playground?
- Do you think the playground would have been possible if just one person wanted to build it by him/herself?
- In your home, or in your apartment building or neighborhood, have there been any times when the people got together to build something?
Including All Participants
Offer children the opportunity to color the illustration provided for “A Barn-raising in the City” to engage different learning styles and to help children focus on or relate to the story. A coloring activity can be a "preview" of a story. It can work as a quiet activity to help children physically settle. You might use it afterward to help the group recall and respond to the story.