Activity 4: Salt Dough Gifts
Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
Ingredients for Salt Dough Decorations
- 2 cups of flour (not self-rising)
- 1 cup fine grained table salt
- 1/2 cup room temperature water
- Large bowl
- Cling wrap
Food coloring or natural spices that have color, such as cocoa powder, cinnamon, curry powder, paprika, turmeric or saffron
Acrylic paint and paintbrushes
Small gift bags and ribbons to tie them
Optional: Postcards, business cards, or other small items printed with the name of your congregation.
Preparation for Activity
- At least half an hour before the session, prepare dough for Salt Dough Decorations. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add water. Knead for five to ten minutes, until dough becomes smooth and elastic. Cover tightly with cling wrap to prevent drying. Let the dough sit for 30 minutes before using.
- Cover work tables with newsprint.
- Set paints and paintbrushes on work tables.
- Optional: Obtain postcards, business cards or other small items printed with the name of your congregation to include in the gift bags with the ornaments.
Description of Activity
This dough is pliable and can be formed to make many different shapes. Once it hardens, it can immediately be painted with fast-drying acrylic paint.
During the winter holiday season, children might make shapes to be used as ornaments for a Christmas tree. In the absence of a holiday, have participants make symbols of Unitarian Universalism such as a chalice or the letters, “UU,” or another symbol that represents your congregation, perhaps the initials of the congregation. If the shape will be hung as an ornament when it is dry, poke a hole at the top, using a paintbrush handle.
After the items are painted and dry, invite children to place them in the small gift bags and tie each bag with ribbon to be a welcome gift to visitors.
For more information contact email@example.com.