Activity 3: Story - The Real Gift
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, The Real Gift
Preparation for Activity
- Print out and read the story. Prepare to read or tell it to the group.
Description of Activity
The story emphasizes the importance of appreciating gifts we cannot see, such as love, time, and welcome.
Invite the children to make themselves comfortable for listening to the story. Read or tell the story.
After the story, encourage discussion by asking:
- Why was Nelson worried about having his grandmother live with him?
- Why do you think the story is called The Real Gift? What do you think is the real gift? Is there more than one real gift?
- Was Nelson still worried at the end of the story? What happened to Nelson's worried feelings?
- What do you like to do when you spend time with someone you care about?
- If you spend time with someone you love, but you do not make a blanket or something else together, are you still giving each other a gift? What would you call this kind of gift?