Welcoming and Entering, Session 7: Democratic Process (Chalk)
In "Toolbox of Faith," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Optional: A chalkboard and chalk
- Dark paper, light-colored chalk, and containers for "ballot boxes"
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare and post (or set on worktables) sheets of newsprint where participants can vote for their favorite television shows, flavors of ice cream, outdoor sports, books, holidays, political leaders, etc. On each sheet, offer multiple choices and leave room for children's tally marks under each "candidate." Set markers near newsprint.
- Optional: If you have a chalkboard, use it instead of newsprint for tally-mark voting.
- Make one or more ballot boxes using containers such as plastic food storage containers or empty shoe boxes. Make a sign for each box, using newsprint, to indicate what participants should vote for (favorite food, favorite song).
- Cut dark paper into ballot-size pieces and provide chalk for children to mark their votes to place in the ballot boxes.
Description of Activity
This activity is intended for the time before the session when children arrive individually, that is, "straggle in."
Welcome participants. Ask the children to put a mark under their most favorite on each sheet of newsprint you have provided (or on the chalkboard), and to write their favorites with chalk on ballots, fold their ballots, and place them in the appropriate ballot boxes.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, October 26, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources