Beauty without expression is boring.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson
The paintbrush symbolizes personal expression of our inner life and thoughts. In this session, participants engage in and reflect on various means of personal expression, such as painting, writing, music, and theater. Allow time for participants to engage the issues of what they might like to use as a tool for their own personal expression. Emphasize that there is no one way that will feel comfortable for everyone. In addition, you will want to note that there may well be ways of expression that go beyond the arts, such as building a trail, inventing a computer or creating a personal identity.
This session will:
- Help deepen participants' Unitarian Universalist identity, ethical discernment, and understanding of Unitarian Universalist faith through reflection and discussion
- Teach that Unitarian Universalism is a faith that will help you express your inner voice and your inner thoughts
- Introduce the Unitarian Universalist Principles that affirm and promote the inherent worth and dignity of every person and acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth
- Demonstrate that personal expression is one way Unitarian Universalism affirms the direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life
- Engage participants in the spiritual practices of chalice lighting, voicing of joys and concerns, and intentional discussion
- Reflect on expression as a quality of their Unitarian Universalist faith
- Engage in a variety of games which emphasize different forms of expression
- Experience an exploration of paint and movement that is focused on the process, not a finished product
- Consider which type of expression they feel most comfortable with and might use in the future
- Gain understanding that personal expression is an aspect of Unitarian Universalist faith that honors the inherent worth and dignity of every person
For more information contact email@example.com.