Activity 4: Cinnamon Heart Ornaments
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of Handout 1: Cinnamon Heart Ornaments (Non-edible)
- Ingredients for the ornament mixture
- Powdered cinnamon
- White school glue
- For making the ornaments
- A roll of waxed paper
- A roll of plastic wrap
- A rolling pin
- Heart-shaped cookie cutters, or table knives for free-form cutting
- Paper plates, or a wire rack and paper towels
- Fine-grain sandpaper
- Ribbons for hanging ornaments
Preparation for Activity
- Tear off a sheet of waxed paper for each child.
- At least 30 minutes ahead of time, make ornament mixture as directed by Handout 1: Cinnamon Heart Ornaments (Non-edible). Wrap the mixture in plastic wrap, and chill it for at least 30 minutes.
- Set the chilled mixture and the rolling, cutting, drying, and sanding materials on worktables. Chairs are optional; many children would rather stand at the table.
Description of Activity
The smell of cinnamon can evoke a sense of home, of comfort, and of love. Smell the cinnamon and keep compassion in your heart! To form the ornaments, roll out the mixture on a flat surface with a rolling pin, until it is 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick. Or, give each child a ball of chilled mixture to roll out on their own piece of waxed paper.
Then, cut out heart shapes using the cookie-cutter, or free-form with a table knife. Use a straw to poke a hole in each heart (for hanging, when dry). Instruct participants not to punch holes too close to the edge, or the heart may break.
Place each heart shape on a paper plate to dry, or place them on a wire rack with a paper towel under the ornament. While the drying process can takes up to 48 hours, encourage participants to flip it their hearts occasionally to help them to dry flat.
When ornaments are fully dry, sand the rough edges with a small piece of sandpaper to make edges even. Wipe with a damp cloth to get rid of any discoloration. Cut a piece of ribbon to thread through hole. Knot it to make a loop and hang the ornament.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.