Welcoming and Entering, Session 12: Humor (Sandpaper)
In "Toolbox of Faith," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Small pieces of scrap wood, enough for all participants
- Pieces of sandpaper for all participants
- Optional: A Slinky
- Optional: A sheet of paper, a permanent marker, scissors, and clear tape
- Optional: Toolbox of Our Faith poster
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain pocket-size scraps of wood, such as thin-cut disks sliced from tree branches. You will need one for each participant and an extra for the poster.
- Set the materials on a worktable.
Description of Activity
This section is intended for the time before the beginning of a session when participants arrive individually over a period of time (that is, "straggle in").
Welcome participants. If you are using sandpaper as the tool of the day, invite participants to choose a small scrap of wood and smooth its edges with a piece of sandpaper to create a small "worry rub." Tell them they can keep the "rub" in a pocket to massage, as a stress releaser. Invite a participant to make one for the Toolbox of Our Faith poster. With a permanent marker, write "Humor" on the piece of wood and tape it to the poster, along with a scrap of sandpaper.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, October 26, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources