Welcoming and Entering, Session 11: Listening (Stethoscope)
In "Toolbox of Faith," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Recorded sound effects and other sounds, and appropriate media player
- Tool of the Day — a listening tool
- Optional: Large sea shells for "hearing the ocean"
- Optional: A small, symbolic listening tool to attach to the Toolbox of Our Faith poster, such as a small sea shell, disposable audio headphones, or a picture of a stethoscope
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain sound effects recordings and recordings of bird songs, Halloween sounds, animal noises, and musical instruments. You will find useful recordings at most public libraries, perhaps even a sound effects compilation. If you have the time and the technology, make your own CD or computer music file of a variety of sounds.
- Before the children arrive, begin playing recorded sounds. Place the Tool of the Day on a worktable, along with large sea shells if you have brought some.
Description of Activity
This activity is intended for the time before the session when children arrive individually, that is, "straggle in."
Welcome participants. Invite them to listen to the recorded sounds and try to identify them. If you have brought sea shells, show participants how to "listen to the ocean" by holding one to their ear.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, October 26, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources