Welcoming and Entering
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Recorded sound effects and other sounds, and appropriate media player
- Tool of the Day - a listening tool
- Optional: Large sea shells for "hearing the ocean"
- Optional: A small, symbolic listening tool to attach to the Toolbox of Our Faith poster, such as a small sea shell, disposable audio headphones, or a picture of a stethoscope
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain sound effects recordings and recordings of bird songs, Halloween sounds, animal noises, and musical instruments. You will find useful recordings at most public libraries, perhaps even a sound effects compilation. If you have the time and the technology, make your own CD or computer music file of a variety of sounds.
- Before the children arrive, begin playing recorded sounds. Place the Tool of the Day on a worktable, along with large sea shells if you have brought some.
Description of Activity
This activity is intended for the time before the session when children arrive individually, that is, "straggle in."
Welcome participants. Invite them to listen to the recorded sounds and try to identify them. If you have brought sea shells, show participants how to "listen to the ocean" by holding one to their ear.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.