Activity 3: Story - Mussa And Nagib
Activity time: 8 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, "Mussa and Nagib"
- Story theater, made using Leader Resource 1, Story Theater
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- A chime, a rain stick, or another calming sound instrument
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story a few times.
- Consider telling the story rather than reading it. Practice telling it aloud. Try adopting different voices for Mussa and Nagib.
- If you have not yet added the sand to the story theater, do it now. You will need enough sand to form the banks of the river so that it is thick enough to write "Nagib" in and have the letters show.
Description of Activity
In this activity, you will tell the story, "Mussa and Nagib," with the help of the story theater. Stand or sit above the story theater in a way that makes it easy to move the characters around. Before you begin, look around the room and make eye contact with each person.
Start telling the story with the figures representing Mussa and Nagib in your hand. As you tell the story, move the figures around to show the action. This way of storytelling can engage listeners in a very tangible way with the story and its message.
Ring the chime (use other sound instrument) to indicate that the story is over.
Including All Participants
Storytelling with props usually engages even children with attention deficits and learning disabilities. Invite children with sight limitations to come and explore the story theater by touch, to get a sensual impression of the scene.
For more information contact email@example.com.