Activity time: 2 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice candle or LED/battery-operated candle
- Lighter and extinguisher, if needed
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Decide whether you will use the provided opening words, an adaptation of Reading 418 in Singing the Living Tradition, or other opening words. Session 1, Leader Resource, Alternate Openings offers several suggestions. It is recommended that you use the same opening words for each session.
- Print the opening words on newsprint. Post the newsprint where the children will be able to see it when they gather for the Opening.
Description of Activity
Gather the children in a circle. Light the chalice.
If some or all of the children are unfamiliar with the reading, teach it line by line. Then recite together:
Come into the circle of love and friendship.
Come into the community of justice and goodness.
Come and you shall know peace and joy.
Extinguish the chalice.