Activity 3: Story - The Dog And The Heartless King
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story,"The Dog and the Heartless King"
- A chime, a rain stick, or another calming sound instrument
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story a few times. Note the storytelling tips.
- Consider telling the story rather than reading it. Practice telling it aloud. Try a voice for the king and another for the hunter. Try a loud bark, like the dog's.
- Think about how you might use items from the story basket as props. If any of these items are on the altar, sit near them or place them where you can reach them as you tell the story.
Description of Activity
Before you begin, look around the room and make eye contact with each person. Read or tell the story.
Including All Participants
There are children for whom it is very difficult to sit still, even when they are paying attention to what is happening around them. This can be frustrating for teachers, as well as for the children who are expected to maintain stillness for prolonged periods of time. If you have children in the group for whom this is the case, consider adopting the use of "fidget objects" as described in Leader Resources. These fidget objects can provide a non-disruptive outlet for the need to move.