Alternate Activity 2: Making Magic Wands
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Sticks or dowels, approximately 1/4-inch diameter and a foot long, or long, stiff straws for all participants
- Decorative arts and crafts materials such as ribbons, glitter, feathers, stickers and color markers
- Glue sticks, tape, stapler and scissors (including left-handed scissors) as needed
Preparation for Activity
- Purchase dowels, sticks or stiff straws for all participants to make wand sticks, plus a few extra.
- Make a prototype for the children to see. If you choose to use straws or cardboard dowels you will want to cut slits in one end so as to be able to stick ribbons and/or feathers around and through it for decoration.
Description of Activity
Set wand-making materials on work tables.
Show the children the wand you have made. Invite them to make their own magic wands to use in Activity 5: If I had a Magic Wand and to take home to share with their families in the Taking it Home activities. If your session has time, you may like to use this hands-on activity to balance the sedentary activities in this session. While the children are making their wands, you may choose to ask them to share things they would do if they had a magic wand.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.