Opening (5 minutes), Session 1: We Are All One
In "Moral Tales," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Chalice candle or LED/battery-operated candle
- Lighter and extinguisher, if needed
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- If this is the first session of Moral Tales, choose a reading or song for the Opening. This is a good time to establish a ritual Opening to use each time the group meets. You may use the adaptation of Reading 418 in Singing the Living Tradition provided under "Description of Activity." Explore some alternatives in Leader Resource 1, Alternate Openings, or choose a reading or song you prefer. It is recommended that you use the same words or song to open every Moral Tales session.
- Print the opening words on newsprint. Post the newsprint where the children will be able to see it when they gather for the Opening.
Description of ActivityWith children gathered in a circle, light the chalice.
Show the children where you have posted the opening words. Teach them by saying or singing each line slowly for the children to repeat, then inviting them to join you in saying or singing the line together. If your opening words are a song, you might say the words first, and then add the tune.
You may wish to use this adaptation of Reading 418, Singing the Living Tradition:
Come into the circle of love and friendship.
Come into the community of justice and goodness.
Come and you shall know peace and joy.
When the children seem ready to say or sing the opening words with you, recite or sing them together.
Extinguish the chalice.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Leader Resources
- List of Handouts