You Are Here
Activity 3: Shining for Justice - Role Play
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1, Bullying Scenarios
Preparation for Activity
- Print three copies of Leader Resource 1, Bullying Scenarios. From each copy, cut apart the three scenarios, so each person in each scenario can have a copy of their scenario with their character's lines.
Description of Activity
Participants enact scenarios in which bullying is planned, and brainstorm ways to respond in similar situations.
Affirm that it is difficult to know what to do or say in a situation that involves bullying. Ask for volunteers to act out the parts in the scenarios. Assign roles and distribute scenarios to volunteers. Give the volunteers a few minutes with their lines. Then, invite the volunteers to present their scenario to the group.
After each scenario, ask the group to think of ways to act with "fire power" in such a situation. Use these questions:
- If you are standing by and hear this conversation what do you do?
- What do you do if the people talking are your friends?
- What do you do if the person they play to bully is your friend?
- What do you do if you don't know anyone involved?
Including All Participants
It is very possible that some participants will have been bullied and that some have acted as bullies, perhaps even toward others in this group. Most children will have witnessed a bullying scenario in real life. Be aware of interactions among the children and individual's responses to the scenarios. Consult the religious educator or minister if you feel pastoral care may be needed.