Activity 2: Adding Air Symbols to the Circle of the Elements Mural
Activity time: 12 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Circle of Elements Mural Instructions (Session 1, Leader Resource 3)
- Paper, poster board, or fabric
- Paper or fabric and appropriate drawing tools (crayons, markers, permanent markers, or fabric paint), and tape or glue sticks
- Optional: Magazines to cut up, scissors (including left-handed scissors), and glue sticks
- Optional: Found objects that might represent air, such as feathers or dandelion or cottonwood fluff, and a hot glue gun
Preparation for Activity
- If you will be using permanent markers or fabric paint, spread out newspaper to protect work surfaces.
- Set out materials on work tables for children to prepare drawings or decorations to post in the "air" quadrant of the Circle of Elements mural.
- Optional: Set up a station where an adult can guide participants' use of a glue gun.
Description of Activity
This activity adds to the Circle of Elements mural. You may have chosen to display the complete quartered circle in Session 1, or you may be adding the second, top left quarter of the circle in this session. In either case, for this activity, invite participants to decorate the top left, "air" quarter with symbols of air.
Invite participants to create their air pictures, symbols, or collages on a sheet of paper or fabric, which you can then attach to the air quarter of the mural. You may invite or assist participants to attach "found objects" directly to the mural using hot glue. Explain how you will help participants use the glue gun, if you have one.
Post participants' artwork or help them do it. Save several minutes to engage the group in clean-up.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.