Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Circle of Elements mural from Session 1
- Leader Resource 1, "Growth" Circle, and tape
- Session 1, Leader Resource 3, Circle of Elements Mural Instructions
- Closing Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 5), and basket
- Bracelets from Session 1, plus lengths of cord for any new participants
- Large beads, one per person, in earth-tone colors
- Opening Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 1)
- Taking It Home handout
Preparation for Activity
- Print Leader Resource 1 onto green or tan paper and cut out the circle. Find the position on the Circle of Elements Mural where you will post the "Growth" circle, by referring to Session 1, Leader Resource 3, Circle of Elements Mural Instructions.
- If needed, print copies of Opening Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 1) and Closing Words for Basket (Session 1, Leader Resource 5). You will offer these to the children who volunteer to read opening or closing words next time the group meets, so they may choose and prepare their reading in advance. Keep copies on hand throughout the program.
- Download and adapt Taking It Home and copy for all participants (you may wish to email to parents as well).
Description of Activity
Explain that the session is almost over and that the group will now work together as a community to clean the meeting space. Ask everyone to clean their own area and put away the materials they were using, and then to clean another area or help someone else. No one should sit in the circle until the meeting space is clean.
Gather the group in a circle. Tape the "growth" circle (Leader Resource 1) outside the "Earth" quadrant of the Circle of Elements mural, in the position shown on Session1, Leader Resource 3. Say:
Earth power encourages us to grow, and to support others in growing.
Invite each participant to take a bead and string it on an elastic and, as they do so, to share some way in which they would like to grow.
Ask the day's closing worship leader to choose a reading from the Closing Words Basket and read it aloud (or, to read aloud the reading they prepared after the previous session).
Ask for (and record) volunteers to lead the opening and closing readings for the next session. Offer the volunteers a copy of Session 1, Leader Resource 1, Opening Words for Basket or Session 1 Leader Resource 5, Closing Words for Basket that they may take home to choose and practice their readings. Tell them they are also welcome to choose their reading from a basket when they come next time.
You may wish to invite the opening worship volunteer to bring a symbol of earth for the centering space, as well.
Invite participants to put the bracelets in the Closing Words Basket.
Distribute the Taking It Home handout. Thank and dismiss participants.