You Are Here
Activity 2: "On a Good Day" Music Video
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Computer with Internet access
- Optional: Digital projector and large monitor or projection screen
Preparation for Activity
- Set a laptop or desktop computer where participants can gather around it. Find the YouTube clip (3:50) of the British band Above and Beyond's music video featuring the Georgia Street Community Garden. Set the video display on full screen so the group will be able to see the video image larger and be unable to see potentially offensive comments under the video display window.
- Preview the video. Look for Michael Covington, a large African American man with a bright smile, who is visible throughout the video and is at the center of the final shot.
Description of Activity
Tell the children:
A British band, Above and Beyond, heard about the good work going on at the Georgia Street Community Garden. They decided to help and featured the cooperative in a music video. You will see the group creating a park with a greenhouse, which is now a part of the community garden.
Show the video. Point out Michael Covington to the children.
Lead a discussion using these questions:
- What did you think of the song? Why do you think the band chose to connect this song to people building a community park?
- What have you done that "feels like [you] on a good day"?
- Do you think the people in the video felt powerful or powerless? Why?