You Are Here
it starts when you say We
and know who you mean, and each
day you mean one more. — Marge Piercy
The power of fire is power to ignite enthusiasm that spreads like wildfire to make change in the world. This session focuses on immigration through the story of a UU congregation that harnessed the power of the Standing on the Side of Love campaign to involve UUs across the country to save Raul Cardenas from deportation. Participants play games and create a petition to explore the power of actions to "go viral."
This session will:
- Demonstrate how much more quickly change happens when we engage others in our efforts
- Explore how we can draw others in to our efforts through the use of social media as well as personal contacts
- Experience some of the feelings involved in both excluding people and protecting them
- Engage with "the inherent worth and dignity of every person," our first UU Principle, as it applies to immigration law.
- Consider the story of how one UU church connected with thousands of people in attempting to prevent the deportation of their member Ral Cardenas
- Play two different versions of the game of tag that explore what it means for an action to "go viral"
- Create a petition for an issue that matters to them and strategize how they might get the maximum number of people to sign the petition
- Play two different version of the game of red rover that allow participants to experience being excluded/excluders and protected/protectors.