Activity 2: Video - "The Day the World Came Together, The 350 Movement"
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Computer with Internet access and large monitor or projection screen
Preparation for Activity
- Preview the video clip on YouTube (2:10).
- Test equipment and Internet access, and queue the video clip to show the group.
- Optional: Preview the 90-second animation for the 350 movement's 2009 International Day of Climate Action. If you have time, you might share it with the group.
Description of Activity
Participants learn how people all around the world participated in the first 350.org actions through a light-hearted documentation of actions to solve a serious problem.
Tell the group they will see a video clip about the first International Day of Climate Action led by the 350 movement. Invite them to watch for ideas they might use to take creative action against climate change.
Show the video clip. Then, ask:
- What action that you saw stood out most for you?
- Which looked like the most fun?
- Which looked most likely to make a change?
Choose one of the actions participants mentioned, and ask:
- If you were planning an action like that, what would you want to do?
If you have time, show the 90-second animation. Invite the group to watch carefully for actions the video suggests for fighting against climate change.
Including All Participants
To minimize fidgeting and disruption, provide quiet manipulables such as Silly Putty(R) or pipe cleaners for children to hold during the video.