Activity 3: Preparing to Make a Case for Congregation to Participate in Power of Half
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Writing paper and pens/pencils
- Poster board, pencils, and markers
Preparation for Activity
- Find out who in your congregation has the decision-making power to choose to donate half of a given Sunday's offering. This is most likely the board of trustees, but could be the minister or a board sub-committee.
- Ask for time on the agenda of a congregational board meeting, or meeting with other relevant person or committee, at which you and any group members who are able to attend can present your case.
- Set materials on work tables.
Description of Activity
Now that the group has chosen an organization or cause they want the congregation to support, participants prepare to ask for the congregation's involvement. Explain who you will be approaching with your request for support (e.g., the board of trustees, a minister, an administrator, an individual or committee who has decision-making power about finances). Have the group figure out how they might best make their case. Invite participants to take notes as you discuss these questions:
- Where would the money go?
- How could the money make a difference?
- Why is this something your congregation should support?
- Why should people be excited to give?
- What does the congregation have to gain by giving up half of a Sunday offering that might otherwise go entirely to supporting the congregation?
Have participants create a poster they can use as a visual aid in their presentation. Encourage them to draw pictures as well as writing some important, compelling points.