Activity time: 3 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Taking It Home
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- A copy of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook
- Optional: Stoles, including extras for visitors
Preparation for Activity
- Download and adapt Taking It Home and copy for all participants. And/or, plan to email Taking It Home to parents/caregivers after this session.
- Write the words for chalice extinguishing on newsprint and post.
- Familiarize yourself with "From You I Receive," Hymn 402 in Singing the Living Tradition. Prepare to teach it the the group and lead them in singing it-or, invite a musical volunteer to join you to teach the song.
Description of Activity
Distribute stoles and invite participants to put them on.
Distribute Taking It Home. Tell participants that after each session, they will receive this guide to fun activities they can do with family or friends. Read aloud some of the activities suggested.
Gather everyone in a circle around the chalice table. Lead the group to say:
We end as we began: together.
May we remember to be UU not just when we are together here, but every day and in every way.
Sing "From You I Receive," Hymn 402 in Singing the Living Tradition. Ask all participants to blow out the chalice together. Have them store their stoles in the place you have designated. Stoles should stay at the congregation and not go home with children.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.