Activity time: 2 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Centering table
- A chime or bell
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Optional: Cloth for centering table
- Optional: Stoles, including extras for visitors
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare to lead the Opening described below: Set a chalice table with a cloth, a chalice, candle, and lighter or an LED battery-operated candle. Write the opening words on newsprint, and post.
- Optional: If children will wear stoles during the session, make sure you have extra stoles for visitors. A child who has begun to attend regularly can add their initials to a stole during today's session, or later, in Session 8, 12, or 16.
Description of Activity
If the children wear stoles for Opening and Closing rituals, distribute stoles. Invite the children to put on their stoles. Offer any visitors a stole and explain that they may wear it during the Opening time and the Closing time if they wish. Remind the children their stoles are a sign that everyone in the group is a worship leader.
Welcome all participants. Gather everyone in a circle around the chalice table. Ring the centering chime. Ask a volunteer to light the chalice together. Lead the group to say these Opening words:
We gather together as Unitarian Universalists and members of the Signs of Our Faith community.
Together, we take a journey of spiritual exploration. Together, we ask questions and continue our lifelong search for truth and meaning.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.