Activity time: 2 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Centering table
- A chime or bell
- Optional: Cloth for centering table
- Optional: Stoles, including extras for visitors
Preparation for Activity
- If the group designed an Opening ritual in Session 9, set out materials you need to lead it. If not, prepare to lead the Opening described here: Set a table with a chalice, candle, and lighter or an LED battery-operated candle. Write the opening words on newsprint, and post.
- Optional: If children will wear stoles during the session, make sure you have extra stoles for new participants and visitors. A child who has begun to attend regularly can add their initials to a stole in the concluding session, Session 16.
Description of Activity
Lead the Opening ritual designed in Session 9. Or, use this Opening ritual:
If the children wear stoles for Opening and Closing, distribute stoles. Invite the children to put on their stoles. Offer any visitors a stole and explain that they may wear it during the Opening time and the Closing time if they wish. Remind the children their stoles are a sign that everyone in the group is a worship leader.
Welcome all participants. Gather everyone in a circle around the chalice table. Ring the centering chime. Ask a volunteer to light the chalice. Lead the group to say these Opening words:
We gather together as Unitarian Universalists and members of the Signs of Our Faith community.
Together we live our values not just in private, but publicly.