Activity time: 2 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Centering table
- A chime or bell
- Optional: Cloth for centering table
- Optional: Stoles, including extras for visitors
Preparation for Activity
- If the group designed an Opening ritual in Session 9, set out materials you need to lead it. If not, prepare to lead the Opening described here: Set a table with a chalice, candle, and lighter or an LED battery-operated candle. Write the opening words on newsprint, and post.
- Optional: If children will wear stoles during the session, make sure you have extra stoles for new participants and visitors. A child who has begun to attend regularly can add their initials to a stole in the concluding session, Session 16.
Description of Activity
Lead the Opening ritual designed in Session 9. Or, use this Opening ritual:
If the children wear stoles for Opening and Closing, distribute stoles. Invite the children to put on their stoles. Offer any visitors a stole and explain that they may wear it during the Opening time and the Closing time if they wish. Remind the children their stoles are a sign that everyone in the group is a worship leader.
Welcome all participants. Gather everyone in a circle around the chalice table. Ring the centering chime. Ask a volunteer to light the chalice. Lead the group to say these Opening words:
We gather together as Unitarian Universalists and members of the Signs of Our Faith community.
Together we live our values not just in private, but publicly.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.