Alternate Activity 4: Fairest of All
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 2, Fairest of All and pencils/pens for all participants
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Handout 2 for all participants.
Description of Activity
This activity asks participants to imagine a fairest-of-all Universe, where all countries and all people have equal starts and advantages in life.
Distribute Handout 2 and pencils/pens. Read the instructions with the entire group. Form small groups and ask each group to work on the handout.
When all have finished or when about five minutes remain, gather the entire group and invite small groups to share their ideas. Discuss:
- Did all the small groups agree on the basic starting points of equality? How so/not so?
- Do you believe countries and people have such equal starts in the real world? Do any countries, peoples or individuals have a "more fair" start than others?
- What do you think would happen if countries and people did have equal starts? Would everybody have equally happy lives? Do you think that Unitarian Universalists should give part of their lives to working for equality?
- What was it like to work as a group? Did group members agree on all the answers? If not, did the group establish a fair way to pick an answer? If time permits, discuss with the group the differences between consensus and majority rule. Are there other ways for groups to work together and make decisions?
Including All Participants
Tell the group you are more interested in knowing what their ideas are than in having them written down in detail; youth may write or not, as they wish.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.