Alternate Activity 3: Challenge Question
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Optional: Newsprint, markers and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Optional: Write the challenge question on newsprint, and post.
Description of Activity
Challenge questions guide a deeper inquiry for especially thoughtful individuals and groups.
Remind youth that their spirituality is their own capacity to seek answers to big questions and to feel connection with other people, the interconnected web of life, the universe and a larger, greater force or, if you believe in God, God. Ask:
Where does your spirituality come from?
Explore the question with the group, using these prompts:
- Does everyone have spirituality, whether they think they do or not?
- Does spirituality require any particular beliefs?
- How do spirituality and thought work together?
- How do spirituality and religion work together?
- Where do inner feelings of spirituality come from?
- Can we increase or decrease our spirituality? If so, how?
- Can we share it with others? If so, how?
If the group uses notebooks (Alternate Activity 1 in each session), you may wish to give them a few minutes to write or draw about the challenge question.