Alternate Activity 4: Parent Time
Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Recorded WCUU broadcast(s) and video player
- Items made by participants in previous Riddle and Mystery sessions
- Optional: Newsprint, markers and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Check with co-leaders and your religious educator to determine when and where you will invite the youth and their parents/families to gather.
- Review previous sessions for concepts and the group's creations you think will interest parents. Gather ideas and items to share.
- Optional: If you have videotaped WCUU broadcasts, consider showing one. Or, find someone with the skills and equipment to edit a sampler-about five minutes of WCUU footage.
Description of Activity
Invite youth to plan a session to share with their parents what they have done in Riddle and Mystery. Share any ideas you have or plans you have made. Lead a brainstorm and record ideas on newsprint.
A gathering with parents can run as long as the group wishes and be held at any time. Parents might join you for half an hour following the religious education time or for half an hour before a worship service. Or, include a sixth grade youth-and-parents time as one activity in a congregational family night.
At the event, youth might perform a favorite WCUU segment, ask parents for their own thoughts about a big question or two, or share other activities from the program.
Including All Participants
Be sure that the plans will involve all the youth. Make sure each youth has an opportunity to present something.
Avoid scheduling the gathering for a time when some youth might not have transportation, or when you think some parents' work schedules prevent them from coming.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.