Alternate Activity 5: Covenant Beliefs
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Group covenant (Session 1) or revised covenant (Session 9)
- A copy of the Unitarian Universalist Principles and Sources (Session 1, Leader Resource 1, or a poster in your meeting space)
Preparation for Activity
- Review the group's covenant.
Description of Activity
Ask the group to review its covenant and decide what basic beliefs it reflects. If discussion is slow to start, direct the group's attention to your posted UU Principles. Ask them whether the group's covenant reflects any of the Principles. Which ones? How? What other beliefs does the covenant reflect (not all will be found in the Principles)?
Encourage discussion with these questions:
- Does this covenant reflect your beliefs about how people should act together and treat each other? Which ones? Does it reflect the Golden Rule? How?
- Do you think this covenant is a good one?
- Is it missing anything? What?
Including All Participants
A group review of the behavior covenant may raise personal or interpersonal issues. Be ready, as needed, to gently suggest individuals talk further with you alone about any specific conflicts or disappointments they express. Be sure to set a specific time for that conversation before the end of the session.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.