Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice or LED/battery-operated candle
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- Bell, tingsha chimes or other sound instrument
- Handout 1, Today's Big Question and (optional) a plain envelope
- "Today's Big Question" sign
- Kid for the Day bag or box, card stock cut into uniform size pieces for all participants and pencils or markers
- Optional: Nametags and markers
- Optional: Quiet background music and music player
- Optional: Group covenant (Session 1) or revised covenant (Session 9)
Preparation for Activity
- Post the "Today's Big Question" sign and a sheet of newsprint beneath it.
- Write the chalice lighting words on another sheet of newsprint, and post.
- Print out a copy of Handout 1. Fold it to conceal the text. To increase mystery, you might place it in an envelope and address the envelope to "Kid for the Day."
- Optional: Set out nametags and supplies for new participants.
- Optional: Post the group covenant.
- Optional: Post an agenda for the session.
Description of Activity
Greet youth as they enter, and introduce yourself to any you do not already know. If the group uses nametags, invite everyone to wear one. If new youth join this session, add their names on card stock to the Kid for the Day bag.
Sound the bell or tingsha chimes to call for silence.
Reach into the Kid for the Day bag or box and select a name without looking. Announce the name and return the card to the bag or box (unless the group decided to change how the Kid for the Day is selected).
If a Kid for the Day seems reluctant, allow them to pass. Draw another name or invite the participant to select one.
Indicate where you have posted the chalice lighting words. Invite the Kid for the Day to light the chalice while you lead the group in reciting "May this chalice light show the way as we search for answers to our biggest questions and seek to understand life's deepest mysteries."
Invite the group to share a moment of silence. End the silence by sounding the bell or tingshas.
If new participants have joined the group, invite all to introduce themselves. You might ask if anyone did any Taking It Home activities from previous sessions and would like to briefly share what they did.
If you have posted a covenant, direct the group's attention to it and ask if anybody wants to suggest changes. Process suggestions quickly, and amend the covenant as needed.
Announce that it is time to hear the Big Question of the day. Hand the Kid for the Day a copy of Handout 1. Write the question-Can we ever solve life's mystery?-on the newsprint under the "Today's Big Question" sign.
Ask the Kid for the Day to extinguish the chalice.
Including All Participants
If the group includes youth who may have difficulty reading, be sure you routinely allow the Kid for the Day to pass.
For more information contact email@example.com.