Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice or LED/battery-operated candle
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- Bell, tingsha chimes or other sound instrument
- Handout 1, Today's Big Question and (optional) a plain envelope
- "Today's Big Question" sign
- Kid for the Day bag or box, card stock for all participants' names
- Optional: Nametags and markers
- Optional: Quiet background music and music player
- Optional: Group covenant (Session 1) or revised covenant (Session 9)
Preparation for Activity
- Retrieve materials from Session 1 (or if needed, make new ones):
- "Today's Big Question" sign
- Kid for the Day bag or box, filled with participants' names on card stock; extra card stock and pen/pencil for newcomers' names
- Optional: Nametags and supplies to make new nametags
- Optional: Group covenant (Session 1 and/or Session 9)
- Post the "Today's Big Question" sign with a sheet of newsprint beneath it.
- Write the chalice lighting words on another sheet of newsprint, and post.
- Print out Handout 1. Fold it to conceal the text.
- Optional: Choose soft background music for the Opening and test the music player. Begin playing the music before participants arrive.
- Optional: Post the group covenant and the session agenda.
Description of Activity
Greet youth as they enter, and introduce yourself to any you do not know. If the group uses nametags, invite everyone to (make and) wear one. If new youth join this session, add their names on card stock to the Kid for the Day bag or box.
Sound the bell or tingsha chimes to call for silence.
Reach into the Kid for the Day bag and select a name without looking. Announce the name and place the card back in the bag or box. Or, if the group decided during Session 8 (Activity 1) to change how the Kid for the Day is selected, follow the new procedure now.
If a Kid for the Day seems reluctant, allow them to pass. Draw another name or invite the participant to select one.
Indicate where you have posted the chalice lighting words. Invite the Kid for the Day to light the chalice while you lead the group in reciting "May this chalice light show the way as we search for answers to our biggest questions and seek to understand life's deepest mysteries."
Invite the group to share a moment of silence. End the silence by sounding the bell or tingshas.
You may wish to ask if anyone did any Taking It Home activities from the previous session and would like to briefly share what they did.
If you have posted a covenant made by the group in Session 1, direct the group's attention to it and ask if anybody wants to suggest changes. Process any suggestions quickly, and amend the covenant as needed.
Announce that it is time to hear the Big Question of the day. Hand the Kid for the Day a copy of Handout 1 and help them understand and implement the instructions. Write the question-Do I have a soul?-on the newsprint under the "Today's Big Question" sign.
Ask the Kid for the Day to extinguish the chalice.
Including All Participants
If the group includes youth who may have difficulty reading, be sure you routinely allow the Kid for the Day to pass.