Faith In Action: Photos of Our Sacred Space, Session 9: Love Surrounds Us in Our Search
In "Love Surrounds Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- A digital still camera and photo printing equipment, or a Polaroid instant camera
- Construction paper, multiple colors
- Glue sticks or rubber cement
- Push pins or stapler
Preparation for Activity
- Arrange to use a prominent bulletin board in the congregation.
- Prepare the bulletin board with a solid color background paper. Then cut shapes from construction paper to make a large tree with branches or a mountain with many paths to the top.
- Cut out letters for the title "Our Sacred Symbols" and attach to the bulletin board display (or choose another title).
Description of Activity
Look for religious symbols around the congregation, photograph them, and display the photos.
Step One. Take participants on a tour around the congregation outside and inside and invite them to identify symbols they see. Photograph the symbols the children discover.
Step Two. Print the pictures in a uniform size to fit on the branches of the tree or on the mountain paths on your bulletin board.
Step Three. Cut construction paper frames an inch or so bigger than the photos you have printed.
Step Four. Give participants the pictures and the construction paper frames and have them attach photos to frames with rubber cement.
Step Five. Attach the pictures to your prepared bulletin board with push pins or staplers. Invite participants to tell you where they would like you to put the photos they have framed.
Look at the finished bulletin board together and process with these questions:
- Does our congregation have a lot of symbols? Do we have too many? Too few?
- If we are all Unitarian Universalists, why do we need so many symbols around us?
- If you were new to our congregation, what would the symbols around the building tell you about this community and the people who come here?
- Which symbols do you like? Why?
- How important are the symbols in this congregation to you? Do you think they are important to others in your family? To others who come to our congregation?
Including All Participants
Make sure the areas you will tour and the location of the bulletin board you will use are fully accessible for your group.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources