Alternate Activity 3: Heart Ribbon Magnet (5 minutes), Session 8: Love Surrounds Us in Our History
In "Love Surrounds Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Felt hearts mounted on felt squares and magnets, assembled in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1
- A roll of 1/8-inch green ribbon
- Extra felt, magnets, and ribbon (red, orange, and yellow) for new participants, plus glue, sharp scissors, and permanent marker
Preparation for Activity
- Set on work tables the Heart Ribbon Magnets children began making in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1.
- Cut green ribbon into 16-inch lengths and set on work tables.
- Review Session 2, Alternate Activity 1 to start Heart Ribbon Magnets for new participants.
Description of Activity
This activity connects the color green and the fourth Principle as children work on their Heart Ribbon Magnets—a reminder of the UU Principles they may take home at the close of the program.
Tell the children the green ribbon represents the fourth UU Principle, "We believe each person is free to search for what is true and right in life." Demonstrate how to fold a length of green ribbon in half, push the folded end into the hole on the side of the heart next to the yellow ribbon, and insert the two loose ends of green ribbon through the loop formed by the folded end. Pull the green ribbon through tightly.
Help any new children or visitors begin a Heart Ribbon Magnet, following instructions in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1, and add red, orange, yellow, and green ribbons.
Set aside the magnets and remaining colors of ribbon for future sessions.
Including All Participants
Partner very young children with an older child who can help them.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- Session Overview
- Session Plan
- Entire Session
- Entire Session (Paper-Saving Version)