Alternate Activity 1: What's in a Name? (10 minutes), Session 8: Love Surrounds Us in Our History
In "Love Surrounds Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Preparation for Activity
- Find out about your congregation's use of the names of historical figures. There may be rooms in your congregational building named after local or national figures, or your congregation itself may have been named after someone. Collect information on those historical figures and learn the stories behind the congregation's name and its room names.
Description of Activity
This activity introduces the history of your congregation along with brief biographies of historical figures important to our heritage.
Gather participants and tell them the history behind each name or room that you researched. Then, lead a discussion with these questions:
- Why do we name rooms after people?
- If you could have named our congregation, what would you have called it?
- Would you like a room or some other place named after you one hundred years from now? What would the place be? (A park, a church, a school, a lake?)
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- Session Overview
- Session Plan
- Entire Session
- Entire Session (Paper-Saving Version)