Faith In Action: Leading a Flower Ceremony
Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Flower Ceremony Service
- Tissue paper flowers made in Activity 3, Flower Making
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED/battery-operated candle
- A vase for flowers
- Cloth for centering table
Preparation for Activity
- Arrange to conduct a flower ceremony at a local rehabilitation center, hospital, or hospice where congregational members live who cannot get to worship services. You might go to the facility together with participants and their families immediately after worship on a Sunday, for example. Ask to use a room where many people can participate or arrange to go to individuals' rooms. This service will last no longer than 10 minutes.
- Inform parents/caregivers the date and time. Encourage them to bring a flower. Ask participants and families to make tissue paper flowers if using them. If using live flowers, be sure to fill a vase with water for them.
- Make several copies of Handout 1, so everyone who may read a part of the service can have one. Invite participants who can read to volunteer to read parts of the service, or ask for parent volunteers. Give each volunteer a handout before the visit so they can become familiar with the elements of the service.
Description of Activity
Meet at the chosen place. Introduce participants to one another. Set up a small centering table with a chalice and a vase for flowers on a table, night stand, or hospital tray. Conduct the service, using Handout 1, Flower Ceremony Service.
Including All Participants
If anyone, including the people you are visiting, has mobility limitations, partner a child with them to bring and then to choose a flower for them.
Do not put anyone on the spot to read aloud. Give reading volunteers the handout well in advance of this activity, and be ready to read any part should a volunteer suddenly decide to pass.
Arrange carpooling that leaves from your congregation so anyone wishing to participate has transportation.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.