Alternate Activity 2: Welcome to Our Congregation (15 minutes), Session 6: Acceptance
In "Love Surrounds Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint or large sheets of construction paper
- Crayons or markers in assorted colors
- Tape or sticky tack
Preparation for Activity
- Arrange materials at work tables so participants can choose a piece of paper and reach a variety of crayons or markers.
- Write the word "Welcome" on newsprint or construction paper and post.
Description of Activity
This activity allows participants an opportunity to personally welcome children to their congregation by making welcoming posters to hang in the meeting area.
Indicate where you have posted the word "Welcome" and invite participants to write "welcome" somewhere on their poster. Tell them they may decorate the rest with pictures that show the kind of fun you have together. They may draw things that represent your activities such as children holding hands, arts and crafts, or musical notes.
When children are done, hang posters in and/or around the rooms, depending on congregation policies. Invite participants to look at one another's posters and think about how they would feel if they were new to the congregation and saw these posters. Process with these questions:
- Why do you think it is important we let people know they are welcome?
- Do you remember to say hello to people in the congregation you haven't seen before?
Remind the group that it is part of our faith to greet people we do not know and welcome them into the congregation.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- Session Overview
- Session Plan
- Entire Session
- Entire Session (Paper-Saving Version)