Alternate Activity 3: Heart Ribbon Magnet
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Felt hearts mounted on felt squares and magnets, assembled in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1
- A roll of 1/8-inch yellow ribbon
- Extra felt and magnets for new participants, plus glue, sharp scissors, and permanent marker
Preparation for Activity
- Set on work tables the Heart Ribbon Magnets children began making in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1.
- Cut yellow ribbon into 16-inch lengths and set on work tables.
- Review Session 2, Alternate Activity 1 to start Heart Ribbon Magnets for new participants.
Description of Activity
This activity connects the color yellow and the third Principle as participants work on their Heart Ribbon Magnets-a reminder of the UU Principles they may take home at the close of the program.
Tell them the yellow ribbon represents the third UU Principle, "In our congregations, we accept all people and we learn together." Demonstrate how to fold a length of yellow ribbon in half, push the folded end into the hole on the side of the heart next to the orange ribbon, and insert the two loose ends of yellow ribbon through the loop formed by the folded end. Pull the yellow ribbon through tightly.
Help any new children or visitors begin a Heart Ribbon Magnet, following instructions in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1, and add red, orange, and yellow ribbons.
Set aside the magnets and remaining colors of ribbon for future sessions.
Including All Participants
Partner very young children with an older child who can help them.
For more information contact email@example.com.