Alternate Activity 1: Heart Ribbon Magnet (5 minutes), Session 4: Forgiveness
In "Love Surrounds Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Felt hearts mounted on felt squares and magnets, assembled in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1
- A roll of 1/8-inch orange ribbon
- Extra felt and magnets for new participants, plus glue, sharp scissors, and permanent marker
Preparation for Activity
- Set on work tables the Heart Ribbon Magnets children began making in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1.
- Cut orange ribbon into 16-inch lengths.
- Review Session 2, Alternate Activity 1 to start Heart Ribbon Magnets for new participants.
Description of Activity
This activity connects the color orange and the second Principle as children work on their Heart Ribbon Magnets—a reminder of the UU Principles they may take home at the close of the program.
Invite children to find the Heart Ribbon Magnets they began in Session 2. Distribute lengths of orange ribbon. Tell the children the orange ribbon represents the second UU Principle, "We believe all people should be treated fairly." Demonstrate how to fold a length of orange ribbon in half, push the folded end into the hole on the side of the heart next to the red ribbon, and insert the two loose ends of orange ribbon through the loop formed by the folded end. Pull the orange ribbon through tightly.
Help any new children or visitors begin a Heart Ribbon Magnet, following instructions in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1, and add both red and orange ribbons.
Set aside the magnets and remaining colors of ribbon for future sessions.
Including All Participants
Partner very young children with an older child who can help them.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- Session Overview
- Session Plan
- Entire Session
- Entire Session (Paper-Saving Version)