Alternate Activity 1: Heart Ribbon Magnet
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Flat magnets at least 1x2 inches
- Felt, in at least two colors
- Craft glue
- Seven rolls of 1/8-inch ribbon: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet
- Sharp scissors or one-hole punch
- Permanent marker
Preparation for Activity
- Purchase magnets on which you can glue felt and the appropriate kind of craft glue.
- Cut felt into three-inch squares-enough for all participants plus a few extra.
- Cut hearts out of felt in contrasting colors, one for each participant plus a few extra. Make the hearts small enough to glue onto the squares.
- Punch or poke seven holes along the sides of each felt heart.
- Cut 16-inch lengths of the red ribbon, one for each child. You may wish to cut 16-inch lengths of ribbon in the other colors now, too; set these aside to continue working on Heart Ribbon Magnets in future sessions.
- Set felt squares, felt hearts, magnets, glue, and lengths of red ribbon at work tables.
Description of Activity
This activity connects the color red and the first Principle as children begin making a Heart Ribbon Magnet-a reminder of the UU Principles to take home at the close of the program. This activity reappears as an Alternate Activity, with different colors of ribbon, in the sessions that introduce the remaining six Principles.
Tell the children the red ribbon represents the first UU Principle "We believe each and every person is important." Tell them they will begin making a Heart Ribbon Magnet now that will, when completed, have a different color ribbon for each of the seven Principles. They will start their magnet with a red ribbon because they are talking about the first Principle today.
Invite participants to choose a felt square, a felt heart, and a length of red ribbon. Help them glue their square of felt to a magnet. Next, help them glue their heart shape to the square. Make sure they do not put glue behind the holes you have poked in the edges of the heart shape. Leave the edges loose so children can string ribbon through each of the holes.
Now show children how to fold the red ribbon in half, push the folded end into a hole on the side of the heart, and insert the two loose ends of ribbon through the loop formed by the folded end. Pull the ribbon through tightly.
Write children's names on the back of their Heart Ribbon Magnets and set aside the magnets and remaining colors of ribbon to continue this project in future sessions.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.