You Are Here
Welcoming and Entering
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Ribbon sticks (or wrist ribbons) in a container (Session 1, Opening)
- Red construction paper, five large sheets
- Permanent marker
- List of participant's names
- Session 1, Leader Resource 1, Rote Teaching - Love Surrounds Us Song
Preparation for Activity
- If you have not previously made ribbons sticks or wrist ribbons for each child do it now as per instructions in Session 1, Opening.
- Place container of ribbon sticks by the door.
- Cut the red construction paper into five identical circles. Spread the circles out around the large group area.
Description of Activity
Use this activity when children arrive individually-that is, straggle in-before the session begins. This activity emphasizes the color red and the first Principle and allows children to review the theme song.
Welcome each child as they enter. Invite them to take their ribbon stick from the container by the door and move to the large group area. Invite them to stand on a red circle and match the ribbon on their stick with the red circle. When the ribbon is matched, children may sit down with their sticks until all are ready for the Opening. Sing the theme song "Love Surrounds Me" to indicate it is time to begin the session.
Including All Participants
Give a ribbon stick to any new participant or visitor and write their name on it.
Provide wrist ribbons for children who are physically unable to wave a ribbon stick. Help attach wrist ribbons to wrists, legs, or fingers according to the mobility of the child.