Activity 1: Story, Angel of the Battlefield, Clara Barton
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "Angel of the Battlefield, Clara Barton"
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story so you will be comfortable guiding the children's parts when you read or tell it.
Description of Activity
Participants hear a story about a person who lived the seven UU Principles in her life.
Gather the children. Teach them the actions for the story listed at the beginning of the text. Ask them to listen and participate with the actions while you tell the story.
Use these questions to process the story:
- I wonder how it feels to live on a farm.
- How would you feel if your brother fell from the roof of a barn?
- How did nursing David help show David was important?
- Who remembers how Clara helped the boys at her school feel accepted, when she was a teacher?
- Have you ever been shy?
- Being shy did not stop Clara from showing her beliefs when she thought something was not fair. Do you remember the part where Clara did not take a job? Do you remember why she would not do that job? (She showed her belief that all people should be treated fairly, when she chose not to take a job for less money than another employee was going to get for the same job.)
- What did Clara learn from the Red Cross in England?
- Clara Barton organized the Red Cross in America. Do you remember what the Red Cross does? How does the Red Cross help people? Can you think of how the Red Cross shows the UU Principles to many people? How does the Red Cross show fairness? Freedom? Acceptance? Caring? What kinds of things does the Red Cross do that show every person is important?
For older children, ask them to stand up each time they hear Clara do something that is from one of the UU Principles.
Including All Participants
To fully include physically challenged participants in the actions the story calls for, instruct the entire group to move their bodies in ways every child in the room can move (e.q. raising an arm or wiggling fingers).
For more information contact email@example.com.