Activity 1: Story, Brave Enough
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "Brave Enough"
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and prepare to tell it to the group.
Description of Activity
This story is about a woman who discovered how people were destroying the environment and making living things sick.
Gather the participants so all can see and hear you clearly. Tell them they will hear a story about a woman who discovered how humans were destroying the earth. Tell them she was a Unitarian and one of the first people to fight for saving the environment.
Read or tell the story.
Once you have finished the story, ask:
- What did Rachel Carson do as a child that helped her become a scientist and writer when she grew up?
- How did Rachel first discover something was wrong?
- Did everyone listen to Rachel?
- Do you think Rachel was brave? Why or why not?
- Have you ever had to convince anyone that you were right about something? Was it hard? Did you give up? Why or why not?