Activity 1: Story, Brave Enough
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "Brave Enough"
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and prepare to tell it to the group.
Description of Activity
This story is about a woman who discovered how people were destroying the environment and making living things sick.
Gather the participants so all can see and hear you clearly. Tell them they will hear a story about a woman who discovered how humans were destroying the earth. Tell them she was a Unitarian and one of the first people to fight for saving the environment.
Read or tell the story.
Once you have finished the story, ask:
- What did Rachel Carson do as a child that helped her become a scientist and writer when she grew up?
- How did Rachel first discover something was wrong?
- Did everyone listen to Rachel?
- Do you think Rachel was brave? Why or why not?
- Have you ever had to convince anyone that you were right about something? Was it hard? Did you give up? Why or why not?
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.