You Are Here
Activity 1: Story, The Great Kapok Tree, A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "The Great Kapok Tree, A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest"
- A world map or a globe
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and prepare to tell it to the group.
Description of Activity
This story is about how a young man learned how much a whole forest depended on just one tree.
Gather the children to hear a story. Tell them you will read a story about a rainforest in the Amazon. Explain that the Amazon is in South America. Point it out on the map. Show where South America is in relation to where you live.
Read or tell the story. Then, process with these questions:
- Why did the young man decide not to cut down the tree?
- What made him change his mind?
- Do you think the man will go off now and cut down a different tree? Why or why not?
- Have you ever changed your mind about doing something because you realized how it would affect other people or things? Explain what happened.