Alternate Activity 1: Pipe-cleaner Peace Symbols (10 minutes), Session 12: A Peaceful and Fair World
In "Love Surrounds Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Peace Symbol
- Pipe cleaners
Preparation for Activity
- Copy the handout for all participants.
- Place handouts and pipe cleaners at work tables.
Description of Activity
This activity engages participants a universally recognized symbol promoting a peaceful world.
Gather the children at the tables and invite them to look at their handouts. Ask if any recognize the symbols. You might say:
This is a symbol that many people would recognize to mean peace.
Invite the children to use one or more pipe cleaners to make the symbol. When they are finished, ask these questions.
- Why is it good to know that these symbols represent peace?
- How can knowing that others are working toward a peaceful world help us to work together towards fairness and freedom?
- I wonder if you can design your own symbol for the sixth Principle.
Including All Participants
This activity does not have a right or wrong result. Participants of all abilities should be able to complete this activity.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- Session Overview
- Session Plan
- Entire Session
- Entire Session (Paper-Saving Version)