Activity 1: Peace Bowls (10 minutes), Session 12: A Peaceful and Fair World
In "Love Surrounds Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Air-drying clay
- Smooth plastic placemats, one for each child
- Dishpan, dish washing soap, water, and towel
- Optional: Vinyl tablecloths, scissors, and masking tape
Preparation for Activity
- Purchase air-drying clay at a craft store or order Crayola Air-Dry Clay (item #CL304) or Self-Hardening Clay (item # CL182S) from S&S online. Note: Clay comes in many types; some will be easier for small hands to manipulate.
- Set plastic placemats at work tables. Or, cut a sheet of the vinyl tablecloth for each child and tape to each place with masking tape.
- Fill the dishpan with soapy water.
- Just before this activity, divide clay into pieces, one for each participant.
Description of Activity
Participants make bowls and talk about how bowls can be used for receiving or giving.
Gather participants at the tables. Explain that today they will make a bowl.
Allow them to explore with the clay. Show them how to make a ball of clay and press their thumbs in the middle to make the bowl. As they work, ask:
- What are some uses for a bowl?
- How does a bowl help us receive?
- How does a bowl help us give?
- I wonder how we will use our bowls.
When everyone has made a small bowl, help participants carve their initials into their bowls and set the bowls aside to dry. Have the children wash their hands in the dishpan and dry with towel.
Including All Participants
If a participant is unable to use their hands, find a way to help the participant shape a bowl with a co-leader or partner, or choose a different activity for the group.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- Session Overview
- Session Plan
- Entire Session
- Entire Session (Paper-Saving Version)