Alternate Activity 3: Heart Ribbon Magnet
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Felt hearts mounted on felt squares and magnets, assembled in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1
- A roll of 1/8-inch blue ribbon
- Extra felt, magnets, and ribbon (red, orange, yellow, and green) for new participants, plus glue, sharp scissors, and permanent marker
Preparation for Activity
- Set on work tables the Heart Ribbon Magnets children began making in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1.
- Cut blue ribbon into 16-inch lengths and set on work tables.
- Review Session 2, Alternate Activity 1 to start Heart Ribbon Magnets for new participants.
Description of Activity
This activity connects the color blue and the fifth Principle as children work on their Heart Ribbon Magnets-a reminder of the UU Principles they may take home at the close of the program.
Tell the children the blue ribbon represents the fifth UU Principle, "We believe everyone deserves a vote about the things that concern them." Demonstrate how to fold a length of blue ribbon in half, push the folded end into the hole on the side of the heart next to the green ribbon, and insert the two loose ends of blue ribbon through the loop formed by the folded end. Pull the blue ribbon through tightly.
Help any new children or visitors begin a Heart Ribbon Magnet, following instructions in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1, and add red, orange, yellow, green, and blue ribbons.
Set aside the magnets and remaining colors of ribbon for future sessions.
Including All Participants
Partner very young children with an older child who can help them.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.