Alternate Activity 1: Mapping the Community
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- The addresses of the participants in the session
- A map of your community
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain a map of the area where your congregation is located, large enough to show street names.
- Mark on the map the addresses of each participant and the address of your congregation.
- Display the map on a wall.
Description of Activity
This activity helps participants identify beloved community as it relates to their group.
Show participants the map and point out where each of them lives. Show the location of the congregation you all share. Engage the children to discover together:
- Who lives the farthest from our faith community?
- Who lives the closest to our faith community?
- What things do we share in our community?
- How do roads help us in our community?
- Where are the places that we get groceries?
- Where do we get health care?
- Where are our schools?
Affirm that the beloved community is a group connected not only by the roads and activities we share but also, and more importantly, by our hearts and by the relationships we build.
Including All Participants
This activity will unfold differently depending on whether the group lives in a concentrated area or more spread out. If your congregation serves a wide geographical area, obtain an adequate map to ensure all participants are included in the activity. If participants live very far from the congregation, talk about what reasons families might have for coming so far to be together with this faith community.