Activity 2: Story, The Wise Sailimai, A Muslim Tale from China
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "The Wise Sailimai - A Muslim Tale from China"
- A basket for props
- Props: A small hammer, a hand mirror, a black pan (perhaps cast iron), a picture of the ocean (Leader Resource 2), and several pieces of metal
- Four sheets of blank paper, and markers
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story.
- Collect props for the story. You might use a plastic hammer; be sure the pan is not too heavy. Choose metal items safe for participants to handle, such as long, large bolts. Place all the props in the basket.
- Make four signs, each with a numeral 1, 2, 3, or 4, and place them in the basket.
Description of Activity
Gather the children to hear a story. Pass out props, taking each out of the basket, one at a time, and saying:
This is a ______. We will hear about this in the story. Who would like to hold this carefully?
Take out the four number signs. Offer each to a volunteer, saying:
There are four important questions and answers in our story. Who would like to hold each number sign?
Then, introduce the story:
We will now read this story about a special girl named Sailimai. If you hear me say the prop you are holding, stand up and show everyone what you have. If you hear the question or the answer with the same number as your sign, stand up and show us your number.
Read/tell the story.
Afterward, ask each child to tell how their story prop was part of the story. Collect the props in the basket. Finish by asking the participants what is the strongest thing in the world (the answer is "love").
Process the story using these questions.
- Why did Sailimai help her uncle? Would you have helped your uncle?
- How did the king feel when young Sailimai knew all the answers?
- What did Sailimai learn about being part of a community?
- What did Sailimai teach her uncle and the king about love?
Including All Participants
If any participants have physical challenges, form pairs to hold up props together.