Activity 1: Love Surrounds Us Song
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1, Rote Teaching - Love Surrounds Us Song
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Leader Resource 1. Memorize the song, sung to the tune of "Jesus Loves Me, This I Know." Familiarize yourself with the teaching method described on the leader resource.
Description of Activity
Participants learn the theme song to Love Surrounds Us called "Love Surrounds Me."
Have the children stand, if all are able. Guide them to begin with their palms together, centered at their hearts. Ask them to take a deep breath and circle their arms straight up over their heads with hands together. Arms will then separate and circle out to shoulders and around their bodies. Explain that love surrounds us just like our arms stretch and surround us. Say:
We will learn a song that tells us how the spirit surrounds us with a message of love.
Teach the song, using the rote teaching method:
Love surrounds us this I know
For my spirit tells me so
All of us to love belong
Fill our hearts and make us strong.
Yes, love surrounds us
Yes, love surrounds us.
Yes, love surrounds us,
My spirit tells me so.
After teaching the song, process the meaning of the words:
- Where are some places you feel surrounded by love? Why?
- Who are the people who surround you in love? How do they make you feel loved?
- How does love fill our hearts? What does it feel like?
- How does love make us strong?
- Why is it important to give and receive love?
Including All Participants
Make sure to give children with mobility or other physical challenges their own way of stretching or singing. They can stretch while sitting or use one hand or their fingers to stretch and move. For very active participants, add a second deep breath and stretch to bring calm and focus.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.