Closing (8 minutes), Session 4: Love in Our Congregation
In "Love Will Guide Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 2, Source Star — Jewish and Christian Teachings
- Pencils or markers
- Taking It Home
- Optional: Session 1, Handout 3, Our Sources Lyrics
- Optional: A recording of the song "Our Sources" and a music player
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Leader Resource 2, Source Star — Jewish and Christian Teachings. Copy for all participants, plus one to place on the Night Sky display. Cut out the stars.
- Write the words for the fourth UU Source on newsprint, and post:
Our Unitarian Universalist beliefs come from Jewish and Christian teachings that tell us to love all others as we love ourselves.
- Download, adapt, and copy Taking It Home for all participants (or plan to email it to all families after the session).
- Optional: Prepare to teach and lead the song "Our Sources."
- Copy Session 1, Handout 3, Our Sources Lyrics, or write the words on newsprint, and post. Plan to store handouts or newsprint for re-use.
- Learn the song so you can teach it to the group. Listen to the song online to familiarize yourself with it. You might invite a member of the choir or someone in the congregation comfortable leading songs to learn the song with you and help you.
- Set the cut-out Source Stars with pencils or markers on work tables.
Description of Activity
Gather participants at work tables. Invite them each to decorate a Source Star to take home and share with their family. You might suggest they draw a cross and/or a heart to symbolize Jesus' teachings about love. As children work, attach one star that says "We learn from Jewish and Christian teachings" to the Night Sky.
When children are done, gather them in a circle. Say, in your own words:
Today we learned from Christian teachings. Jesus showed his followers how to love others as they would love themselves. He showed how love helps a community and everyone in it.
Indicate the fourth Source words you have posted on newsprint. Invite the children to follow along quietly as you read aloud:
Our Unitarian Universalist beliefs come from the Jewish and Christian teachings that tell us to love all others as we love ourselves.
Pause and invite volunteers to give an example of what that Source means.
If you wish to sing "Our Sources," distribute Session 1, Handout 3 or indicate the newsprint where you have posted the lyrics. Teach/lead the song, with a musical volunteer if you have invited someone to help. You might play the music clip of "Our Sources" for the children to sing along.
Distribute Taking It Home and thank participants.
Save the Night Sky display and the handouts/newsprint to use next time.
Including All Participants
At this age, children have a wide range of reading ability. Do not put individual children on the spot to read aloud.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources