You Are Here
Faith In Action: Sharing the Songs and Readings
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Session 1, Handout 1, Ten Million Stars
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition , or Session 1, Handout 2, Love Will Guide Us Lyrics (Hymn 131)
- Our UU Sources Poster (Session 1, Opening; Session 1, Leader Resource 3)
All seven UU Source Star handouts:
- Session 2, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Awe and Wonder
- Session 3, Leader Resource 3, Source Star - Reason and Science
- Session 4, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Jewish and Christian Teachings
- Session 6, Leader Resource 4, Source Star - The Harmony of Nature
- Session 7, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Wise Women and Men
- Session 10, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - World Religions
- Session 14, Leader Resource 3, Source Star - Our UU Faith Heritage
- Optional: A recording of the song "Love Will Guide Us" and a music player
- Optional: A recording of the song "Our Sources" and a music player
Preparation for Activity
- Arrange with your minister, religious educator and/or leaders in a younger RE group for the children to share their learning in a worship service or with younger children.
- Arrange a time for participants to rehearse.
- Write all readings and lyrics on newsprint, to post.
- Optional: Plan to play a recording of "Love Will Guide Us" or, invite a member of the choir or another musical volunteer to accompany the song or help you lead it.
- Optional: Prepare to lead the song "Our Sources."
- Copy Session 1, Handout 3, Our Sources Lyrics, or write the words on newsprint, to post.
- Learn the song. Listen to the song online to familiarize yourself with it. You might invite a member of the choir or a congregational song leader to help you.
Description of Activity
Participants deepen their learning through sharing what they have learned with others. They help build multigenerational community as the larger congregation engages with their work.
Practice the songs and readings. Select volunteers to read aloud each of the seven Unitarian Universalist Sources and the accompanying Source Star phrases. You might have children each prepare to share a way people will behave when they are guided by love.
Create an order in which songs and readings will be shared. Rehearse in the space where children will perform, so they will know where to stand.
In the worship service or with a younger group of children, have participants sing "Love Will Guide Us," share the seven Source stars, name the seven Sources in children's language, read "Ten Million Stars," and sing "Our Sources." You might have children each share a way in which people will behave when they are guided by love.
Including All Participants
Some children are very shy about standing in front of groups of people. Find a way for a reluctant child to participate that does not require a solo reading role.